Saturday, December 11, 2010

Contentment Reading Challenge 2011

I know it's not quite 2011 yet, but in preparation for the coming year I have decided to put together my own reading challenge. I'm really excited about it, and I would love for you to join me!

I don't know if there are any rules for creating reading challenges, and I don't know if my reading challenge is really that unique, but the "Contentment Reading Challenge" I'm hosting is one that is based on something I need to work on in my life--being content with what I have. It's a struggle for sure, but I truly have so much to be thankful for! In light of eternity, all of the "stuff" I have has no lasting value in and of itself. If the stories I read turn me to God and remind me of His truths, then they have value in that sense.

But I digress. ;) The point is that I have so many wonderful books, but I'm constantly thinking about what new books I can get my hands on. So the "Contentment Reading Challenge" is one where I (and anyone who cares to join me) will be re-reading some of the books that I already own. I'm looking forward to re-visiting some of my favorite books!

If you'd like to join the challenge or just read more about it, click on the "Contentment Reading Challenge" page link in my sidebar. I've enabled comments for that page so anyone can join, ask questions, or just leave feedback about the challenge. Hope you get a chance to check it out!

Also, throughout the year I'm hoping to have posts dedicated to this reading challenge. It would be great if we could make this a fun, group effort! This challenge officially starts on January 1, 2011. Can't wait to hear what you think!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this challenge! Going to sign up now!

Amber Holcomb said...

Ellie,

Awww, thank you so much! I'm so glad you're going to join me, and thank you for your enthusiasm! :D

~Amber

Julia M. Reffner said...

Great idea! I would like to join! Will put the button up!

P.S. Is it hard to make buttons? I have never made one for my site, but am thinking of trying to make one this afternoon. Wanted to make one for my giveaway, but had no idea how.

P.P.S. Is it OK to read review books, if we didn't buy them? I think this is a great idea, Amber!

Kav said...

Sigh, while I love to reread old favourites there's nothing like the thrill of a new book and I feel a loyalty to my favourite authors -- I just have to buy their books, you know? I feel like a one woman crusade for Christian publishing houses. LOL. But I supplement my habit with reads from my public library -- does that count? So this is one reading challenge I can't participate in. :-(

Amber Holcomb said...

Julia,

Thank you! I'm so happy you want to join! :D

As far as buttons go (as you might be able to tell) I'm not the best. It was hard to make the wording readable with such a busy background on this button, but I hope it still turned out OK! Making buttons on my own using Photo Bucket has not been the easiest for me, but I tried using MyBannerMaker.com this time and it was actually pretty straight forward! :) Let me know if you have more questions, and I can try to help!

And this reading challenge is totally however you want it to be if it fits with the basic premises--so yes, you can include review books! I don't know if I'm going to count review books for my count for this particular challenge, but I'm definitely planning on reading them. :D

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Oh, Kav!

I definitely do NOT want to stop people from reading new Christian fiction books!!! I'm so sorry if this reading challenge gave that impression. Maybe I should re-word some of it...

Anyway, as I say on the "Contentment Reading Challenge" page, the idea behind this challenge is that I've noticed that I hardly ever go back and re-read books, and that I'm constantly thinking about what new one I can get next, instead of even enjoying the new ones I just got!

And as I told Julia, this is a personal reading challenge, so you can make it how you want to be. If you want to read library books, then that's totally fine! :)

Again, I'm sure books will be on my birthday wish-list and Christmas wish-list, because I just LOVE new books, as well! And I definitely want to support Christian authors. I just want this challenge to remind me of how much I have to be thankful for, and to remind me to go back and re-read some of the books that I have loved but never made the time to go back and read.

It's totally up to you if you want to join, but I understand if you feel you can't.

Thank you for your honesty in sharing your thoughts!

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Kav,

I decided to write a disclaimer on the "Contentment Reading Challenge" page. Thank you very much for helping me to do so! :D

Again, I really appreciate your honesty, and I think that I needed to have a disclaimer. If you have the time to take a look, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new addition!

~Amber

Julia M. Reffner said...

Amber,

I love this idea. I agree that I am accumulating books too much. Buying rather than using the library. Using the library rather than the books I have at home. Ordering review books and then spending so much time on review books I don't seem to take the time to reread and appreciate the books I have. I have so many unread books here.

Amber, My goal is going to be to avoid buying books, however, I have to be honest. I don't know if I will do this the whole year. But I do want to make some habit changes in regards to my reading.

I also plan to cut down on review books, making sure those I request are the ones I really want to read instead of just getting excited about "free Christian fiction." I'm going to try to limit my reviewing enough so that I can have time to read the things I want to read. Those would be the books I already have here to be read or reread.

Thanks for this challenge!

Amber Holcomb said...

Julia,

You have some wonderful goals! :D I like the idea of only reviewing books you know you want to read--that's definitely something I could shoot for, as well!

And don't worry--I don't know if I'll go the whole year without buying a book (or asking for them for my birthday, etc.), and I don't know if I'd want to! ;) I just hope I can learn to be content, and to not always be thinking about what I can get next, if that makes sense.

So glad you like the challenge!

~Amber